Luckington Court is a grade 2* listed building, with its oldest buildings being reportedly built as early as c1600!
A house on the plot historically dates back to King Harold, c1022-1066. He was the last crowned Anglo-Saxon king of England and ruled from January 5th to October 14th 1066, when he was famously recorded as being shot in the eye with an arrow, and killed at the battle of Hastings. Harold Godwinson as he was previously known was the first Lord of the Manor at Luckington and when he became King, Luckington became a royal manor and was therefore entitled to the title of a ‘Court’. Interestingly a house on the land at Luckington Court is also mentioned in the doomsday book of 1066.
After his death King Harold’s estates were passed to the Conqueror and it is noted that the house was owned in 1141 by the Earls of Hereford, the last surviving brother being Humphrey de Bohun, 7th Earl of Hereford, (1342-1373). The Fitzherbert family occupied the house until 1798 when Catherine Fitzherbert died, widow of Fownes Fitzherbert, Esq. The house then passed to a daughter, who reportedly was not of sound intelligence & eloped with a Butcher from Bristol with the surname of Jones, it was then in the possession of the Jones family until John Fitzherbert-Jones’ death at the age of 61 in 1864. The original house would have looked a little different to the house you see today, as the ‘Queen Anne’ façade was added in an L shape around the original building in the 1700’s during his life time.
The stone mullion windows of the original building can be seen in a few of the rooms at the back of the house. It is this part of the house & the surrounding cottages, dovecot & barns are reported as being built c1600. The Hall, Smoking room & Drawing room have bolection-moulded fireplaces and 17th century panelling. Further updating & renovating of the house was carried out in the 1920’s when it was owned by the Johnson-Ferguson family, and this is the house as it looks today.
In 1945 the house was bought by Lieutenant Colonel Trevor Horn for his wife Angela, and has remained in the family ever since.
In recent years the house has featured in several TV commercials & perhaps most famously featured as Longborn, home of the Bennett sisters in the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, in 1995.
Within the grounds there is an interesting collection of ornamental Cherry trees and the Cedar trees are reported to be as much as 400 years old.