Luckington Court sits at the end of a long gravel drive, flanked with ornamental cherry trees in shades of pink and white (in spring). Surrounded by ample grounds and with a beautiful Norman church standing just a few paces away the peach coloured house is nestled in mature, lovingly maintained gardens. The lawns to the front of the house are edged with well established herbaceous borders, mature shrubs and fruit trees. Towards the end of May, the ancient wisteria blossoms and provides shade to the terrace which overlooks the sheltered south facing lawn. Later on in the summer, you will find scented roses blooming in the secluded and tranquil walled rose garden.
The grade 2* listed Queen Anne house is a privately owned family home, which gives it an informal, warm and welcoming feeling. With this, its romantic beauty and historical charm, Luckington Court is an ideal place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. A perfect venue for any occasion; small or large, formal or relaxed.
With its oldest buildings being reportedly built as early as c1600, a house on the plot was recorded in The Domesday Book and historically dates back to King Harold, c1022-1066. He was the last crowned Anglo-Saxon king of England and ruled from January 5th to October 14th 1066, when he was famously recorded as being shot in the eye with an arrow, and killed at the battle of Hastings. Harold Godwinson as he was previously known was the first Lord of the Manor at Luckington and when he became King, Luckington became a royal manor and was therefore entitled to the title of a 'Court'.
After his death King Harold's estates were passed to the Conqueror and it is noted that the house was owned in 1141 by the Earls of Hereford, the last surviving brother being Humphrey de Bohun, 7th Earl of Hereford, (1342-1373). After which the Fitzherbert family occupied the house until 1798 when Catherine Fitzherbert died, widow of Fownes Fitzherbert, Esq. The house then passed to a daughter, who as legend has it, was not of sound intelligence & eloped with a Butcher from Bristol with the surname of Jones, it was then in the possession of the Jones family until John Fitzherbert-Jones' death at the age of 61 in 1864.
The original house would have looked a little different to the house you see today, as the Queen Anne façade was added in an L shape around the original building in the 1700's.
The stone mullion windows of the original building can be seen in a few of the rooms at the back of the house. It is this part of the house & the surrounding cottages, dovecot & barns are reported as being built c1600. The Hall, Smoking room & Drawing room have bolection-moulded fireplaces and 17th century panelling. The front door is surrounded by an original carving by Grinling Gibbons, the Dutch-British sculptor and wood carver known for his work in England, including Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace, St. Paul's Cathedral and other London churches, Petworth House and other country houses such as Luckington Court.
Further updating & renovating of the house was carried out in the 1920's when it was owned by the Johnson-Ferguson family, and this is the house as it looks today.
Within the grounds there is an interesting collection of ornamental Cherry trees and the Cedar trees are reported to be as much as 400 years old.
In 1945 the house was bought by Lieutenant Colonel Trevor Horn, founder of the Badminton Horse Trials for his wife Angela, and has remained in the family ever since.
In recent years the house has featured in several TV commercials & perhaps most famously featured as Longborn, home of the Bennett sisters in the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, in 1995 and as a location for various editorial photo shoots.